Procmail recipe

Patrick Shanahan ptilopteri at
Sat Jan 24 17:03:36 CET 2009

* Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri at> [01-24-09 10:59]:
> * Dallman Ross <dman at> [01-24-09 10:38]:
> >
> > Nancy's point in her FAQ was simply that there is a completely
> > separate animal, the Maildir+ message-storing format, and that
> > it is not to be confused with the meaning of MAILDIR, the "magic"
> > variable that also performs a chdir operation, in procmail.
> >
> Yes, I understand this, but your explanation of presenting and
> assiged value to MAILDIR constitutes a chgdir and the value of

sb /assinged/assigning a/

> $MAILDIR is the same as $PWD clears the mud  :^).  I had never
> considered procmail as working "in a particular" directory other than
> those specified in the rc via vars and recipie assignments.
> Considering this I can understand how my presentation/usage of
> $MAILDIR could cause others misunderstanding and/or grief.
> thankyou for the education  :^)

btw, in bash, $PWD works the same way.  Assigning a value to PWD is
effectively a chdir command.

Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711     Photo Album:
Registered Linux User #207535                    @