zip up attachments and deliver modified message

Charles Gregory cgregory at
Thu Jan 22 21:28:50 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, dan wrote:
> Id like to take messages containing doc, xls, etc etc files over a
> specific size and split off the attachments, zip the attachments, then
> put them back on the original message.

I agree with previous answers about potential gains. One thing I've done
here to spare my poor dial-up users is given them the ability to set a
'maximum size' of e-mail - just pure raw byte count - that is easy to code
as a procmail recipe (* > $BYTES), and if it is too large, I deliver it to
a folder in their filespace on our server. They then can login to the
'squirrelmail' web mail client to review the messages, and, as previously
suggested, choose whether to view/download some or all of the contents....

The only downside to this is that they are unaware that the mail has
arrived. (unless you generate a separate warning message). The obvious
impediment to this is that it won't work unless the recipient is a
user with filespace on the host system.

- Charles