question on a procmailsc example

Zhiliang Hu hu at
Thu Sep 14 16:50:37 CEST 2006

I have difficulties to understand this description in the 'procmailsc' man
page (please correct me if it's my English problem ;-):

> .......... check if the ratio of quoted lines to original lines is
> at most 1:2.  If it exceeds that, ditch the mail.  Everything that
> survived the previous test, is filed.
>           :0 Bh
>           *  20^1 ^>
>           * -10^1 ^[^>]
>           /dev/null

First of all, does the example appear to have a "quoted lines to original
lines" ratio of 2:1?  Secondly, It appears to me is that the example
represents is not a pure "ratio" in generic sense but its "20 lines
quoted" vs "10 lines new text" may be interpreted as a "ratio" -- what
outcome should I expect if "12 lines quoted" and "6 lines new text" is
piped through the recipe? (or 6 lines quoted vs 12 lines new assuming
"1:2" is the case).

I'd imagine the calculated "new text lines" divided by "quoted lines" as
a test parameter, say 'r', and a test of "r>0.5" or "r<0.5" may be called
a ratio test, agreed?